Poets and artists published in Spectrum Online Edition: Flower Parade are invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, March 18th between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Sunday, March 12, 2023

Vibiana Aparicio-Chamberlin

 

Benjamin The Gardener

 

So what do you say Señora can I come back to work for you?

From my garden I bring you some agapanthus lilias.

But I need to use the blower. It’s my job to leave everything clean.

Oh no. No broom. I need to work fast and the escoba takes too long.

 

Ah si, el polvo. Oh, you have alergias. Me too, muy mal.

Need a milagro for my lungs. I get out of breath. Someday I’ll

figure out how to clean up the garden y not make the dust y

fumes from the gasoline blower. But it’s the fastest way.

 

And I can’t improve my business when people steal the tools

from my truck. Las policias, they stop me for nada. One policia told

me. “Pancho, do you have your license, show me your green card?”

I told him. My name is Benjamin Luna, not Pancho. Another one

made me get out of the truck. “Show me your papers pronto or I’ll

call the immigration.” Then I tell him I’m a US citizen for sure.

 

To tell you the truth, es mejor have my truck stolen by some

cabrón gringo then have a policia take it away. Disculpa Señora

for the bad words. Pues they take my truck away and charge a lot

                        of feria to get it back. And like I said. I need my truck with

                        my gardening tools. They’re my business. Son mi vida.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CLS Sandoval

Just Love Me     The spark starts a fire.   Grass, trees, flowers, buildings, living beings go up in flames.   Amidst the destruction is a t...